Friday, November 5, 2010

And so the beginning of the Practicing Discussion

Tips for the immediate to advanced musician/pianist.

1.Something that stuck with me from Anthony De Mare's 21st Century Pianist class this past week that I thought was extremely helpful was the notion to figure out fingerings, or to write in a piece's fingerings absent from its actual rhythm. This process allows us insight by leading us to find the most natural hand positions for each section without being limited by rhythm.
2.Try to use the metronome 80% of the time. this is something I found myself quoting to first to one Pre-College student, and then another, and another, and also to myself! The concept gives a sense of freedom when practicing because, it allows the metronome to act as a grid- which of course, is not being followed religiously, but acts as a companion marker from which to stray (sometimes).

No comments:

Post a Comment